Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Fearless But Practical


Four plus years ago, Teresa’s mother passed away after a long struggle with dementia and other maladies. It was a tough time for all of us but, in many ways, we were grateful that she was relieved of the life she was living. 
Teresa's mom as a teen

The memories we have help us focus on who she is and what she has done to make this life better for each of us. We love her and would be thrilled if she was still here, but we are also comforted that she is not struggling with the issues of mortality that made her so frustrated.

Recently, my youngest living sister has had a serious bout with that “evil cancer” thing and we were very concerned that she might decide it was time to “go home.” She is now recovering and is blessed (by doctors and God) to have an excellent chance to continue being the sweet little girl we all love so much.


When I was a young man, my mother delivered a baby boy who died shortly after his arrival in mortality. We were very poor, so a funeral was not an option. Instead, we loaded the family into our station wagon, put Tommy’s little body (in a casket) in the back part, and drove to a family burial site in Alpine, Arizona. 
Image result for Luna Lake
Luna Lake, near Grandpa's cabin in Alpine
It was the first time I had experienced the effects of death with such a personal closeness. We dug the grave ourselves, my dad exercised the priesthood and dedicated the site, and then we placed the little body into the ground. The experience was one of the sweet memories of my youth.

My own heart problems, a few years ago, were a reminder to me of the fragility (but amazingly wonderful) strength of our mortal bodies and the nearness of mortality to death.

(I was going to add pictures of what that was like, but it wasn't very palatable so I skipped them)

These, and a number of similar experiences, have invited me to ponder the temporary nature of life and determine how I will approach the way I live. As many have said, no one gets out of this experience alive (though I would dispute some of the finality of that statement) so I want to be as prepared as possible.

But, I have never (or at least in the time I can remember) felt fear as it relates to the coming experience that will one day welcome us all. In fact, sometimes I secretly long for that day that so many fear (Teresa hates it when I say that, so please don’t tell her I put it here). Not because I don’t like my life, but just for the newness of the adventure.


It’s not that I’m anxious to leave this life we are all living (I know some may not be having such a great adventure at the moment, but, overall, this is a pretty cool gig). It’s just that I’m not really worried about what will happen when this mortal frame finally gives up and shuts down (though I do have a few concerns about my own preparation for the next part of the adventure – but not enough to be afraid).

There is a poem, written by William Wordsworth, with the following lines that I find comforting and worthy of thought on this topic:


Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting;
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
          Hath had elsewhere its setting
               And cometh from afar;
          Not in entire forgetfulness,
          And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come 
               From God, who is our home:


I find that this message expresses much of what I believe (the rest of the poem can be read here). The clouds of glory that linger with me offer hope of the greater glory that will come with the next step of our lives.

Another writer put it this way:


For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. (Alma34:32)


Mortality is an amazing experience for each of us. It is not random or without purpose in the eternal scheme of things. We are here to do things that will prepare us to become more like God and Christ. To fear this challenge is to doubt the hope of the Atonement of Christ. He has promised that He will do all we will let Him do to bring us home. All He asks is that we follow the Holy Ghost, His prophets and then lift our fellowman to higher places.


With this knowledge and the influence of the Holy Spirit, I can say (with great confidence) that there is much ahead that will bring us joy.


The renewal of friendships, family relations, and eternal bonds with God and Christ will make all of the struggles of this life well worth the seemingly difficult parts of what we endure.


Life is not for suffering – it is for learning to be like God and Christ.

It is the greatest adventure ever!!

Live it with faith and love for all (avoiding fear at all costs) and it will be the best preparation for living like God thru the eternities.

No comments: