Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Puzzles

Being a child of the………., well being older than I used to be, there are some things in this life that don’t make much sense.  I sort of get bottled water and I can understand why some people get caught up in the whole global warming thing (though I have great faith in our planets’ ability  to take care of itself—after all, if it’s been around as long as science says, don’t you think Mother Earth has figured out a way to combat our stupidity?).  On the other hand, there are some “new age” habits/fads that just don’t compute in this pre 1960 brain.  Examples as follow:

1. For the life of me I cannot figure out why someone would want to put a large metal ring in their nose.

image                 image

Dust makes my nose itch so I’m sure these things would drive me cuckoo.

That’s what we used to do to pigs and cows so they were easier to control.  Are these people telling us that they want someone to put a rope in the ring and then lead them around?  The imagery is so graphic but I suspect they have no idea what they are suggesting to the human mind. 

Just weird to me!!!

2. Mankind lived for eons not knowing everything about everyone who resides on this sphere. 

Presidential elections occurred and it was weeks before the citizens knew results.

 

image image

Abe Lincoln and Stephen Douglas.  When he turned his hand against the Saints, Douglas was guaranteed failure.

Huge disasters devastated whole countries and people in neighboring regions NEVER knew. 

image image

Krakatoa, east of Java.  Sent a plume of ash that changed the weather for several years…even in New York.

Life was good without up-to-the-minute reports.

 

Now, if we don’t have polls telling us the outcome of events weeks and months before they actually occur, we are in fear of a collapse in civilization. 

 

And if there is ever a moment when we are out of touch with our friends and family… well, you know what I mean.

 image

This phone (or one like it) once sent and received 14,000 text messages in a month.  That works out to about one message every three minutes…..every hour of the day for 30 days.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little seclusion and privacy?

image

Wind Rivers, Wyoming

 

3. Social Networking is something that I really have a hard time wrapping my mind around.  Some time back I decided to give Facebook a try. 

image

It all seems so innocent.

My kids were on it and I thought it might give me some insight into what was happening.

Before you go off and think I am anti-electronic media, remember where you are reading this.  Blogging makes sense to me because it is a medium where you can write and express yourself.  Sort of like an on-line journal.

Sitting at a computer for hours at a time and commenting on your personal life and the happenings of all your “friends” seems to be a HUGE waste of time. 

Actual facebook post:

I can't believe I've spent most of my day on this thing. But the tingling in my hands tells me it's true....addiction?:(

 

Who’s life is so interesting that we have to know everything about every minute of the day?

These things puzzle me to no end but, since I am not the greatest solver of mysteries, I will have to be content with knowing that all this will change and something new will take our attention.

BTW, I do have a cell phone and I know how to text.  My facebook account is still open and I check it from time-to-time.  But I do not and will never have a nose ring, earring, lip ring, bellybutton ring, toe ring,  tattoo, or any other body adornment.

 

1 comment:

Melissa DeMoux said...

You with a bellybutton ring...that would be really weird!