Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Discussions, Truth, and Eternity

One afternoon, when I had a free minute, I stumbled on a discussion group that focuses on LDS topics.  Having an interest in the subject, it seemed a good choice for a few minutes of idle reading. 

Surprise!!!

My eyes have been opened (again?)!!!

Not everyone in our church believes the same things. 

Oh, most still have faith in Christ and a good majority are convinced that Joseph Smith is still a prophet of God.  Deviations begin when the topic changes to such things as resurrection, morality, The Book of Mormon, and other doctrines of the kingdom. 

As I read the various discussions in these posts, my mind is taken to a scripture in 2 Timothy 4:3-4:

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The gospel of Christ is pretty simple if not polluted with the concepts of man.  But if you take a truth and separate it from the whole of the doctrines of Christ, it becomes much harder to see the eternal verities of that truth.

 

Maybe (actually for sure) that is why Amos 3:7 is such a pivotal verse in the quest for eternal truth.

Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

No matter what the world may think, there is safety in the words of living prophets.  They reduce friction between man and truth. 

BTW, I had planned to put the link for the discussion group but on further thought decided it might be best not to lead others where they might not be safe.  If you are interested, send me an email and I will give you the address. grundelwalken@gmail.com

 

1 comment:

Melissa DeMoux said...

Good thoughts, Dad. I hope I am not TOO often the one that is muddled.