Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

LEISURE

One of the things I really love about being a Mormon is that I never have to be lazy.  I CAN be if I want, but the truth is I have so many things I need to do that I just don’t have time.  For instance:

1.   Every month there are several families that I need to visit and be sure they are doing alright.  Yes, I’m assigned as their home-teacher but over time we DO become friends and they expect and enjoy the visits that are made (Teresa goes with me most of the time).


Jordan River Temple
2.  Every Wednesday my sweetheart and I spend the evening (about 6 hours) helping other members participate in ordinances in the Temple.  We meet lots of wonderful people and also get to help those who have passed on receive blessings they might not otherwise enjoy.


3.  Most Sundays and some days in between I get to visit with the members of another ward in our Stake and help their leaders understand/learn ways to bless their congregations.  Our Stake President thinks I might be of use to a young Bishop since I have a little experience in that area.


4.  Teresa and I have a number of friends who are elderly and are nearing the end of their mortal journey.  We love to visit with them and remind them how much they are loved – even though they may feel less than useful because of their circumstances.  Actually, this task (not really a task but I can’t think of a better name) is the most enjoyable and we wish we had even more time. 

And I’m sure I have missed some things but these are the highlights.  Being a good Mormon is lots of work!!  I think the Lord made it that way so we can learn a few things:

a.   Be busy
b.  Stay out of trouble
c.   Learn to love and serve people

I’m reminded of a verse in the Book of Mormon:


And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.  (Mosiah 2:17)

Pretty smart guy, that King Benjamin fellow.  He knew I would have lots of distractions so he prepared a message for my feeble soul. 

Thank you Sir!!

Just the beginning of His work.
Leisure time is just not available much when you are trying to learn to be like the Savior.  Of course, it doesn’t seem like He had much downtime during His life – guess He was just showing the way.




Stay busy my friends!!  (To use a phrase in a better way)

No comments: