Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

MUSINGS OF THE RANDOM SORT

Today is one of those times when I just have a jumble of thoughts going through my head.  It is hard to decide which to grab and share so I will toss out a few topics and see how they sound on paper.  And it’s OK if it makes no sense to you – I doesn't to me either.


I hate it when stores sell goods that are defective!!! 
I went to a nearby Lowe’s store to purchase some yard lights to use with our Nativity scene.  These were the rechargeable LED kind that are supposed to last all night. 

First problem – two of them came without the batteries.  OK, so I had a couple of rechargeables in my drawer so I put them in (one also had no door on the battery spot but a lesser deal).  After a full day in the sun (granted, it is winter and the days are shorter) I checked to see if the lights came on.  Sure enough, at 5:30 PM, when the sun had receded behind the horizon the little glow bugs were shining brightly.  Success!!!

This is actually a little nicer than mine but still similar
Except, when I went back out an hour later, all three of them were dead to the world.  The paperwork in the lights says they are good for at least 8 hours with a day’s charging but these little babies barely last an hour.  So much for product quality.



 

It has been really cold here in Utah.  I don’t mean just chilly or cold, but REALLY cold.  Most mornings I leave the house and it is in single digits (Fahrenheit).  Last time this happened we had some frozen pipes so I have taken precautions to prevent that issue ----- I hope!!! 

But hopefully none of this!!


We have a little of this.


For those who are not LDS, there is a custom that says High Council speakers are supposed to be dry and boring.  For this reason, many on the High Council feel threatened by the duty to speak on a regular basis.  Thankfully, I am just ignorant enough to not really care what people think (I do care about my duties and make an effort to present a good message but don’t worry too much about what others think) so I totally enjoy preparing and sharing a message each month.  It’s kind of like teaching school but no one gets to talk back during the lesson.  Some may walk out but they are usually quiet about it. 
Anyways, I love to speak and look forward to standing up to preach the gospel of Christ to my fellow Christians. 



Teresa convinced me to get her Christmas present early so she could use it for Cub Scouts and Christmas.  Now I don’t know what to do about Christmas Day!!!  She says it’s OK not to get more but I feel guilty.  If anyone has a helpful suggestion, please let me know.


BTW, she got a nice new printer for the computer.



Detective shows are some of my favorites on TV.  In the old days I liked “Rockford Files” and “Magnum P.I.”  Recently I have enjoyed watching “The Mentalist” because of the quirkiness of the main character.   For those who are familiar, Patrick Jane has had a long struggle, searching for Red John, the madman who killed his wife and daughter.  A couple of years ago he thought he had killed his nemesis but that proved to be a faulty premise.  Since then, he has drawn closer and closer to finding the perpetrator of the heinous crime he suffered.


“SPOILER ALERT” – if you haven’t seen the resolution of the Red John arc, please stop reading and skip the next two paragraphs.
Patrick Jane


I have rooted for Jane to finally meet his opposite number and give him his comeuppance.  The evil dude needs to be eliminated – not just for the murders he has committed but also for the network of crooked cops he has developed. 

BUT!!!!   The conclusion of the Red John story was very anti-climactic.  Turns out he was a lackluster sheriff who had a minor connection with Jane and the CBI over the years.  And his last encounter with Patrick was so tame and lame that it was almost comical in its presentation.  The only good part of the whole encounter was the ending of the storyline.  Very disappointing!!!




More often than I care to consider, I am moved to gratitude (yea, even almost to tears) that I have not begun to lose my hair (yet?).  Thus far, the hair grows and stays with me pretty well.  Granted, it is much greyer than before but at least it is there.  I hope this little paragraph did not jinx me in any way.

A sad state of affairs for any man!!!




If I have to be without most of my hair
I hope I can be somewhat like this man.
One of my favorite writers/Christians, Brother
Lewis knew how to wear bald well.




I posted this video on Facebook with three messages from modern prophets.  It was meant to show how the prophets have warned us about the deterioration of our country because of poor decisions by its people.  I often feel sadness for the predicaments we find ourselves in as a nation but I am so grateful for the knowledge that following Christ will eventually lead to a place of peace and joy.  We truly can’t rely on people for peace– it only comes from the Savior.  I echo Alma’s testimony (which I have shared before):

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.  And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.  Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people,that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.  
(Alma 7:11-13)


I guess that’s enough for now.  Hope I didn’t bore too many people into “Slumberland.”  Merry Christmas and remember who we really love.  See you next time.

No comments: