Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

VISION

I am half-way through my 7th year at Granger High School.  Normally, in my career, I would have been moved several years ago, but for some reason when changes have been announced the last few years, my assignment has remained right here. 

Granger Seal

I LOVE IT!!

One of the things I love best is seeing multiple members of families as they begin and end their HS career.  Some of these students have been in my class 3 or 4 school-years and I have come to love them and care about their lives.  And as one family member moves on, another comes to take their place and we are all blessed to become better acquainted with the dynamics of the whole family.

More times than I can count, I have been surprised to find that my initial judgment of a student or their kinfolk has been way off the mark.  With only three years (my previous high at any school), it was difficult to get a feel for how a family operates.  But with a seven-year window, many things become more clear.  Some of my early assumptions have been found to be seriously flawed because my perspective was so short-sighted.

I wonder if this isn't why Heavenly Father lets us have lots of time in mortality to figure things out.  Of course, we know that our clock isn't like Father’s but our perspective IS given plenty of time to see nuances that otherwise might be missed.  Living a long time (mortally speaking) can result in understanding the Plan of Salvation a little better.  It can also help us learn to see others as they really are, rather than how we view them during a specific spot in their life.

When the Lord taught the Prophet Joseph about forgiveness, he said the following:

Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.  I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men. (D&C 64:9-10)

It takes vision to see the reality of who people are.  Our vision is clouded by time and the veil of mortality so we have been counseled by a loving God to be careful. 


The sidewalk leading to Seminary.

Maybe they really aren't who we think they are.



But even if they are, who are WE really?

No comments: