Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Shy People

As many of you know, I spend my day time with high school students.

Some days they are wonderful folk.

Other days they are folk that just make me wonder!!!

For the past few weeks we have been trying to get pictures of all the seniors so we can create an end of the year slideshow.  Most of the kids are pretty accommodating but from time to time we have a truly shy person who is reluctant to have their image put on camera.  I’m OK with that and will generally find a way to get their picture in a quiet manner.

 

It’s the people who pretend to be camera shy that are so hard to understand.

 

For instance, one young man is a star football player who has worked hard to get his image out to the community but refuses to stand still long enough to snap a quick shot.  Or the school singer/comedian/star actor who is suddenly reluctant to allow us the privilege of his photo for our show.

 

OOO, I’m too embarrassed to let you take my picture!!!

I’m not coming out of the bathroom until you promise not to take my picture.

 

It’s pretty ridiculous because we all know they would be offended if they weren’t included in the final product of our efforts.  So what did we finally get with these two?  Check it out!! 

 

IMG_0372

Yes, that is a senior boy, cowering in a stall in the men’s room of our building.

The other ‘victim’ was even less cooperative so I won’t post his efforts.  But it was considerably worse than this photo I took of a “shy” girl in the same class.

IMG_0368

This young lady finally gave in and we have a nice shot of her for the show.

 

Teresa often accuses me of not looking good in pictures (what do you expect for an old guy?) because I don’t smile right but at least I am willing to have my face recorded for posterity.  Sure hope these young people open up and stop acting like something they are not.  Especially when it is only themselves they are hurting.

No comments: