Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Buzz, Buzz Confessions


This is one of those confession blogs that I seem to feel a need to give from time-to-time.  There are lots of things in life that are hidden away inside us and eventually they have to come out. J


The other day I received a call from my lovely wife, asking me to go to Brian’s house cause Paula was having a problem.  I couldn’t get there for a while so when I arrived, Brian had things well in hand.


Earlier that day Paula noticed some strange activity in her backyard and spent some time watching out the back window.  This is similar to what she saw—

Swarming Bees
A small swarm of bees

Eventually there were 40,000+ bees hanging out on Brian & Paula's little tomato garden. They called a beekeeper guy and he hurried over and gathered all the little folk into a hive and saved that branch of the Whitmer family from annihilation (or at least Freak-out-ation).  


Here's Brian's Swarm -- cool eh!!


All my life I have loved watching colonizing insects as they did their work.  When I was a boy I would sneak out into the desert and watch the anthills and imagine what it must be like down inside.  Sometimes I would give in to temptation and dig into the colony and try to find the queen.  It was all very fascinating to me!!


Nice Hole for Ants

More like what we had in AZ.


I had the same attraction to bees --- except, they were even more fun.  I think part of it was the challenge of not getting stung while I watched their work. 

Cute little fellas

But another part was a deep love for something that could be so organized and complete as a community.  Everything this little group of individuals did was for the benefit of the group.  No selfishness, no personal gratification, and no seeking for higher position.  Everyone did their job and if it meant that you were doomed to die because the queen needed your life, you willingly gave all you had. 





Maybe my heart knew this was the way the world should/could be if everyone followed the ways of Christ.  The parallel is not exact but if we are to ever live in a Zion society, we will have to learn to live like other people mean more to us than what we want for ourselves. 



Without bees there would be no fruits



To be honest, this is the first time I have really made this connection and I think this idea might be why I have been so fascinated by these wonderful creatures. Somewhere, Down in my soul, I knew that our apian friends were showing us the way and if we would learn from them, we would also learn what God wants us to become. 

So, while this started as a confession about my love for bees and ants, it appears to be ending as a confession that there is still much to do before I can be comfortable with who I am becoming.  The Savior said:
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (Matt 10:39)
Drones and workers are the strength of every colony.  The queen rules but the others DO.  And as long as there is someone DOING, there will always be things growing.
I have a long way to go before my time in life is ended so I guess I better make some changes so I can be part of the right ‘colony’ when HE comes again. 

And Teresa, I still want to have my own beehive… but I can wait ‘til you say OK.  

No comments: