Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Conference April 2012

I know, everyone is excited about General Conference so there will be lots of blogs about what the Prophets have said, but I'm not going to let that curb my enthusiasm for the messages.  It only happens every six months so it's easy to get worked up about the cool things that are said.  Here are some of my favorites, with a link so you can listen and watch if you like.


Elder Ronald Rasband of the Presidency of the Seventy spoke about those who care for children with special needs.  That is a tender subject because Brian and Paula have a little Becca whom we have grown to love so much.  Elder Rasband's words were a great comfort for us as we watch her parents bless her life with so much love.  And Becca has such capacity to love each of us with no strings attached.  Here's the link to Elder Rasband's talk.

Ronald A. Rasband

Teresa and I had the opportunity to go to the Saturday afternoon session with Melissa and her three oldest.  We all rode TRAX up to the Conference Center and enjoyed the privilege of watching things live from the balcony seats.

We were in the upper balcony, three sections from the end.  Everyone on the stand was very tiny.

I particularly enjoyed Elder Jeffrey Holland's message about the parable of the laborers.  He has such a way of breaking down the truths in the stories of Jesus and helping us understand what the Savior was teaching.  His message is found here.

Jeffrey R. Holland

Saturday night all my boys came to our building and we watched the Priesthood Session together.  As we walked into the building, I was duly impressed with the fine young men that my sons have become.  It was inspiring to see that they have lived lives that are exemplary and clean and they are worthy fathers and husbands (except Joel and he's working on that).  I suppose this is what Father in Heaven sees as He looks down on His worthy sons.  




Anyway, there were some excellent messages in Priesthood Session.  Elder David Bednar gave a very personal message that touched my heart and helped me want to be a better father and priesthood holder.  You can view his message here.

David A. Bednar


We are so blessed to have living prophets who can give us counsel from the Lord.  As Pres. Benson said (paraphrasing), "each conference the Lord offers us our marching orders for the next six months".  I try to take that thought with me as I work through the things we have been counseled to do.  And I wait for the next series of instructions that will come in our October gathering.  Thanks be to God that we have living Prophets who can guide us through the morass of this mortal life.


If you haven't already done so, take some time and visit the General Conference site and listen to a few of the men who have been called by God to lead this world to righteousness. They really are pretty good guys.


No comments: