Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

GET UP

I am not the nicest person in the world.  Not that effort is made to go out of my way to be difficult, but some of my idiosyncrasies invite negative feelings from others. 


For instance, at times I can be intolerant of what is recognized as weaknesses that my fellow earthlings possess.  And often my own feelings flashes through my face and physical reactions.  Sadly, failings of my own do not always register and are not uppermost in my mind when judgments are offered about others.


The message here is that there is great weakness in the character of the author of this blog.  Of course, if you are familiar at all with him, you already know these facts.  They are accepted and expected and will probably continue on in some form for eons to come.

But, I am not here to seek forgiveness (though that would be lovely if it were given) nor to justify past actions or future follies.  The purpose of this message is to present a principle that buoys up those in similar circumstances (including the author).  So if you have any interest in this subject, please keep reading.  If not, then I won’t be offended (much) if you just move on to the next blog.

Early in His ministry Jesus made this statement:

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Matt. 5:48)

In His visit to the Nephites He added “I or…” to those who are perfect (3 Nephi 12:48).  The message is clear--- we are expected to become perfect, like God and Christ have done.



Is that really possible, I ask my imperfect and mostly failing self?  Can a mortal with all the baggage that comes with mortality really find a way to put off the imperfection and weaknesses that crowd into life?


Well, Nephi said:

…I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. 
(1 Nephi 3:7)


He was a prophet of God so it must be possible……. But, my golly, it seems extremely hard and painful!!!


Then the recollection comes that there is a way to make this thing possible.  God knew that earth life would be exhausting and overwhelming to His children so He planned ahead. 


He’s smart that way.


He knew that every time his children err – whether intentional or accidental – they remove themselves from His presence.  So He provided a solution.  And He gave it a name.


THE DOCTRINE OF CHRIST 


It’s all through the Bible and the Book of Mormon but falls into five basic principles that are pretty easy to understand:

1.   Have faith in Jesus Christ and His power to overcome the struggles of life. (2 Nephi 31:10)

2.    Repent of sin as quickly as possible by calling upon Jesus to help you become clean again. (2 Nephi 31:11)

3.  Receive the ordinance of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins.  Here I will refer to a specific verse for illustration:
a.   And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water! (2 Nephi 31:5)

4.  By the authority of the Priesthood, receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost as a companion to guide through life. (2 Nephi 31:12)

5.  And maybe the most over looked part of this doctrine – ENDURE TO THE END. (2 Nephi 31:15)

That brings me back to my purpose in writing this treatise. 

We all have weakness that will keep us out of the presence of God.  Our sins are such that we cannot hope to make it on our own.  But we have a Loving Advocate who has promised He will help us –


If we never give up!!!


Every time we falter, we have to GET UP!!!


So I WILL.     


No comments: