Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MR. WIGGINS

Sometime in the early 1990’s I came across a science-fiction novel that quickly became one of my all-time favorites.  It was about a young boy who is drafted into an elite training program designed to find leaders for the preservation of mankind.  The story was intriguing, thought provoking and just “darn” good. 


I never could figure out why the story failed to be made into a movie, but with the rise of the Internet I soon realized the holdup.  The author was determined to have his book done in the correct way and by the correct people rather than settle for something lesser.  Numerous attempts were made to write a screenplay and bring the story to the screen but, alas, all efforts were futile. 

Young Mr. Wiggins

Last weekend the adults in our family finally had the opportunity to attend a showing of the long awaited production of a family favorite story.  Yes, over the years each of our children was ‘indoctrinated’ in the dealings of Mr. Wiggins and came to enjoy the story as much as I did (sadly, I forgot to get Mother involved so this was all new to her).  So, it was with great anticipation that we gathered at the local ‘Megasomething’ theater and sat down to bask in the offerings of the silver screen.


I think, as a whole, we were all very pleased with the movie we viewed.  There were a few quibbles concerning scenes we each wished had been included but overall the film was faithful to the story and the characters we have all grown to love.  It is my opinion that the author was well justified in holding firm to his desires in the creation of the screenplay and the presentation of the story.  Would that all authors had the same sense of purpose in adapting stories to the big screen (yes, I’m talking to you Lord of the Rings guy)

Mr. Wiggins and Mazer

The actors did their jobs well – especially the young man who played Mr. Wiggins.  I went in very concerned because I am not a fan of Han Solo (or whatever his name really is – OK, I know his name but he isn’t my favorite actor) but even he was not too heavy-handed with his character. And Mazer Rackham was superb in his efforts – as you would expect from an Academy Award winner.


Mazer and that other guy


I don’t know if there will be any follow-up movies from this series but this one was a pleasure to watch and gave a sense of reality to some of the things I have envisioned for so many years.  Thanks to O. S. Card and his cohorts for an enjoyable evening and a delightful film.

No comments: