Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

BACK TO WORK



Well, I’m sort of there but not completely.


It has been seven weeks since I went under the knife/saw and survived.  Over those weeks I had therapy and walked many miles around the neighborhood (got to see, firsthand, how the city public works guys do their jobs) while recovering fairly well.  My sweetheart kept me fed (though nothing tasted good) and my kids made frequent visits so I wasn’t too bored.

Now it is time to get back to work.  This past week I started teaching again.  I couldn’t handle a whole day but I was able to take one class each day.  It was very nice to be with the kids once again.  I’m not sure they enjoyed some of my ramblings but I was excited to be out of the house and back in the classroom.

The plan is to go another week with one class a day and then add another the next week and add one per week until I’m back to a full load.

It is always surprising how much energy teaching takes.  You would think just standing and talking wouldn’t be that hard but after one lesson I am completely drained.  Most of the energy is used just trying to stay focused and help the students understand what we are studying.  Teaching is a much harder job than many people think.

It’s exciting to be back in the saddle (mostly) and I look forward to the time when I am completely back.  Thanks to those who have waited so patiently and those who have made it all possible.  Especially Teresa who helped me heal so quickly.  She is amazing.

For those who are interested, this whole experience has caused me to lose about 20 lbs.  As Teresa says, “you have not gut anymore.”  Until food starts to taste good again, I suspect I will remain as I am.  If you can believe it, I can’t stand the taste of ice cream.  Who would have thunk it possible?


No comments: