Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Future Mormon


Future Mormon: Essays in Mormon Theology

In my profession I have many opportunities to read and ponder my thoughts on specific and general gospel principles. For the most part, my musings are limited by the level of understanding I can share with my students, so I don’t spend a lot of time preparing deep conversations with them. Fortunately, in my personal study there are times when I can focus on subjects that are of interest to me on a more abstract or thoughtful level.

Some time back I received a copy of a book called “FutureMormon” by Adam Miller, a professor of philosophy at Collin College in Texas and a faithful Latter-day Saint. The book contains a series of essays that invite readers to search their hearts, minds, and souls on a number of topics relating to Mormonism. Admittedly, a few of the essays are somewhat difficult to comprehend and wade through (I suspect that this is a requirement for most philosophy professors), but there are also many that spark the mind and soul to think and invite the Spirit to testify of truth. I found that as I pondered and tried to apply the message of these essays, truth was revealed, and hope increased with a better understanding of the deeper principles of light. Miller’s engaging style and thoughtful commentary makes even the most difficult concepts palatable to the heart and soul.

Some of the topics covered in “Future Mormon” include thoughts on grace as understood by Latter-day Saints, a discussion of materialism and its impact on man, an interesting examination of the message found in Jacob 7 of the Book of Mormon, and a well thought view on Teryl and Fiona Givens book, “The God WhoWeeps.” I am aware that there are some who have read Miller’s work and claim he speaks from the ‘outskirts’ of Mormonism, but careful examination of his writings leads me to believe those in that camp are not truly understanding what he is saying. The message of each essay is to invite members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to look to Christ and follow the teachings He has given through modern and ancient prophets.

For those who are interested in a deeper dive into some of the doctrines of the Restoration, this delightful book will be a serious adventure in learning. And those who may have some fear – take a chance and see if some of the essays might be worthwhile. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

You may also want to take a look at this review of the book from Jeff Lindsay at the Interpreter website. He has much more to say and digs a little deeper into the book.... and he's smarter than I am so it will probably make more sense. ;-) mw

No comments: