Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Pixilated Ideas

Some time ago we purchased a new camera to take the place of our aging Canon S1 IS.

 image

We loved the old S1 but it was starting to have some issues so we replaced it with the newer SX10 IS.

image

Marvelous camera with lots of bells and whistles.  But it is also sort of large and bulky.  Not really an easy camera to carry around.
And I have been a little disappointed with the quality of some images (could be user error but all cameras should be smart enough to overcome that).

Sometimes I like to have pictures for my blog or lesson presentations but it is hard to have that big fella (camera) hanging around all the time.  I would also like to be able to get some pics of fishing trips and outdoor activities.

So I was thinking it might be nice if I got a smaller, more compact version of a camera that I could carry around wherever I went.  That would let me record events as they happened and eliminate the need to lug around a heavy, bulky “nice” camera.

Here are a couple of examples that I have found interesting.  They are supposed to be “proofed” against all kinds of problems so they might survive my falls and stumbles in life. Josh can testify that it would help to have something waterproof when we go out!!

image                       image

(This one is the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020)          (Canon Powershot D-10)

image

(And here is the Pentax Optio WS80)

Now, I know that some of you may think I am looking for a Father’s Day gift but that is not the purpose of this post.

My sole intent is to elicit any comments on the type of small camera I should be saving to buy to meet my needs.  Please do not limit your suggestions to those above…I really want something that will be small and workable.

I’m actually looking forward to new ties and socks or a new yard tool or something much more useful for Father’s Day.  This camera business is just ‘dreaming and saving’ fodder.

So, please take a few minutes and ‘review’ these and other cameras and give me your opinions on which you might suggest.

1 comment:

Troy said...

My comment is pointless to your mission, but I can't wait to see what others suggest because I'm on the same quest...we've invested in a couple of nice cameras, one of which has several lenses and frustrates/overwhelms me every time I attempt to use it. So as a mother, I've decided as much as I like quality pictures of my children, being able to take quick snapshots of the silliness with a user-friendly (i.e. one that corrects for MY amateurishness), purse sized (for on-the-go silliness) camera is much more invaluable!

...I may steal this post and put it on my own blog, but you probably get more readers...your family's bigger than mine...=)

~laura