Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

New Toy


Along with all the other things I am doing this summer, I have a new computer at work and it is taking some time to set things up so they work properly.  Once every four years we get new machines and, while it has been slightly more than four years (no bitterness from me) my time has come. 

Who knew there was so much that needed to be transferred over?  It took nearly an hour for me to copy the old data to my portable hard drive and then it was half-a-day getting everything organized and moved off the old compy (shades of HomeStar Runner).  There are probably still a few things that have been missed but the ‘geezer’ laptop will hang around for a while until I am certain all has been gathered in.

You may be asking yourself, does he like the new addition to his life?  The jury is still out!!  Size and weight are pretty similar but there has been a definite change in the operation of the operating system – from Windows XP to Windows 7.1.  It seems the keyboard is more responsive (but you would expect that when comparing to an old Dell) and the screen appears a titch brighter.  Not sure if I will like the Lenovo (IBM) over the old Dell but a true effort will be made to appreciate the changes.
The biggest concern is getting all the printer/network connections to function.  So far, internet has been OK but printers are giving me fits.  No one seems to have the right driver for our network printer so I can’t get good output.  Small concern but I’m sure it will work out.

Initial assessments indicate that I will most likely be satisfied with this new little toy/work tool.  But those who know me can rest assured that longing for new things still pervades my psyche.  In fact, just yesterday my eldest son purchased a new Apple I-Pad for his trip to China.  


Maybe I need one of those too!!!  I could be going somewhere and it would really help pass the time.  What do you think sweetheart???

No comments: