Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

RANDOM AGAIN

Spectacles
When I got my new glasses I had the choice between conventional bi-focals or the new “progressive” lenses.  Both eyeglass places I visited suggested I would be happier with the progressives (despite the awful feelings the term gives me) so I made that choice.  In hindsight, I’m not so sure it was a good idea.  It is nice to not have a line where the prescription changes, but I was not aware of the distortion the progressive lenses would create.

 
When I first started using them, I was concerned because nothing seemed level to my eyesight.  Then the realization came that it was the lenses that were causing the problem.  The end result is that I don’t trust my own eyes anymore when it comes to hanging pictures or leveling a board.
 
And the other problem is that I have to move my head up and down until I find the correct part of the lens for the distance I want to see.  Sometimes that creates an odd image.  But I can see, so I guess I will accept that for now.


        Anger
Getting mad used to be a common part of my life.  It didn’t take much – but I usually didn’t explode into a rage or turn green.  Mostly I would ignore people or make sarcastic remarks (or make up dumb rules for the kids to show them who was really the boss).

See, I don't turn green!!
Age has mellowed me to a considerable degree and I tend to not get angry much anymore.  There is still a lot of sarcasm (though much less than before) but not the biting kind that hurt so much. 
Much of my ‘rage’ was a result of feeling inferior to other people but I have since realized that everyone has weakness – I’m just more familiar with mine than others.

There are lots of things in my life that I regret but being angry so much is way up near the top of the list.  I apologize to those who were the objects of my insanity and hope my adult-self will be a sign of the changes.


        Books
A year or so ago I borrowed a book from Brian called “The Book Thief.”  The story starts out a little strange (turns out death is the narrator) but after a couple of chapters it became very intriguing.  If you need a good story, try this one – you won’t be disappointed.

Clayton Christensen has a new book out called “The Power of Everyday Missionaries” that is a great primer on how to share the gospel.  This man is no slacker when it comes to good ideas and this book has some wonderful examples of how to share without being afraid.


I’m still reading this book, “ Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption” but find it very enjoyable.  It’s the story of Louie Zamperini and his exploits during WWII as a bombardier and prisoner of war.  The author is the same woman who wrote “Seabiscuit” and did such a nice job.



On a lighter note: Brian gave Joel a book called “Shades of Grey” for Christmas.  Of course, we all mistook it for that other book with a similar name and were confused by the choice (as Brian had hoped).  Teresa is currently reading it and has decided it isn’t as bad as the “other” grey book is purported to be so maybe I will try it when she is done.






        GoPro
In preparation for our trip to the Bahamas this summer, we have purchased a little GoPro Hero2 camera.  It’s supposed to be great for the adventures we are planning as we scuba and travel to new environs.  I think it will take a little practice so I might end up posting a video or two for that purpose. 

BTW, one of the reasons is so we can video our Shark Dive while we are in the Bahamas.  This is not a cage dive but one where we will be right there with the dangerous beasts!!!  Everyone is excited except a couple of the in-laws.  We will let them take care of the kids while we are getting eaten by the big-tooth fish.

No comments: