Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

WHAT IS FAITH?

Some time ago I read an article that talked about the crisis of faith suffered by one of the world’s great heroes – Mother Teresa.  In the article it was noted that this loving, self-sacrificing woman had gone most of her life wondering if there really was a God.  And if God is real, why did He not make himself known to her?  Pointedly, she stated:

“I am told God lives in me — and yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul… I want God with all the power of my soul — and yet between us there is terrible separation…. I feel just that terrible pain of loss, of God not wanting me, of God not being God, of God not really existing.”
 
The work of this valiant daughter of God was exactly the work the Savior called us all to do.  There is no doubt in my mind that her life, spent in blessing others, will be recognized by the God she so faithfully obeyed – even as she was uncertain of His existence.

She exercised faith despite her misgivings.

While I have never doubted the existence of our Heavenly Father or His Son, there have been times when I have wondered if I was worth the effort They were making in my behalf.  The myriad weaknesses and defects that are my ‘baggage’ continually give me cause to my own worth in this mortal experiment/training session.
(Yes, I am hyper-critical – but who isn't? L I guess that’s part of my ‘baggage.’)

Then I receive a little nudge to remind me that things aren't as bad as I imagine.  Usually it comes as a thought assuring me that my status is known and the effort expended on both sides of this whole process is well spent.

I believe that is the peace of the Spirit.

It can be missed if we aren't careful

In mortality, Mother Teresa may not have recognized the validation of her work as she served her God so faithfully.

I guarantee she does now!!

The scriptures teach:
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1, Alma 32:21).

  Paul and Alma were onto something.

In spite of her doubts, Mother Teresa became a towering example of the principle.

She really is something special.

Thanks to a wonderful older sister.

No comments: