Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

JUDGING HARRY 2

I noticed this article in the Deseret News the other day and paused to think about the ramifications.


The Reid's, Pressler's and Clayton Christensen
DesNews
It is no secret that I am not a big Harry Reid fan but I AM an admirer of the methods and principles advocated by Clayton Christensen.  So it was with some surprise that I noticed both men were found doing something that I would not have thought they would do together.


Clayton Christensen is famous for his missionary efforts (see here).  He always seems to be at the forefront of the efforts to share the gospel with those not of our faith.

Clayton Christensen and Larry Pressler
DesNews

On the other hand, I seldom hear much about Bro. Reid and his work in the Church (I have heard Orrin Hatch mention that Harry Reid is a faithful home-teacher, but that was about it).  Most press for Bro. Reid seems to paint him in a negative tone (which, obviously, colors my own perceptions) and emphasize the things I would not consider Christ-like or Latter-day Saint-like.


The remarkable story of these three men has me pondering my own level of commitment to what I believe (not that I’m doubting the truth but wondering how much effort I’m putting in).  I mean, this is same Harry  Reid who “purportedly” lied on the Senate floor about Mitt Romney.  What good can he offer to someone who is seeking truth?  And why would he help a Republican?


I get that Clayton Christensen is going to help with the sharing of the message – BUT, HARRY REID!!


It may sound judgmental (and it is), but there’s a part of me that believes someone who espouses the political platforms of the Democratic Party and practices shenanigans in the ‘ways of Harry’ must not be living as closely to the Savior as he should.


The truth is that Harry has been (at least in this one instance) more faithful to his calling as a disciple of Christ than have I.


And if I’m honest with myself, I suspect that he has probably been just as faithful in many other ways – else how could he be prepared to share so effectively.


It is a slippery slope when our thoughts are focused on the weaknesses of others.  The usual result is forgetting to look inside for the rot that has begun to fester in our hearts.


As I have said elsewhere, judgment is not mine to make on the dealings of another.  All judgment must be left to the One who really knows.


It’s just so hard sometimes!!


So I offer two prayers.


Thanks given to Harry Reid, Clayton Christensen, and Larry Pressler for faithful work together.



Humble repentance and 
forgiveness sought by yours truly.

No comments: